“A new Community Center Library will serve as the cornerstone of downtown redevelopment and give our citizens a gathering place and information space for generations to come.”
Moorhead Mayor Shelly Carlson
Soaring spaces that build community. Active areas that encourage play and learning. Creative places that stimulate business ideas.
Welcome to Moorhead’s new Community Center Library.
This transformational downtown space – envisioned as a cultural anchor for a revitalized and renewed downtown Moorhead – is quickly moving from a dream in the minds of residents and City leaders to becoming reality.
Several key elements will be included in the building, which is planned for the northwest corner of Center Ave and 5 St N:
- Community Center: Moorhead residents have asked for places to gather, especially in the colder months. The new center will offer bright, airy spaces for people of all ages.
- Public Library: Modern libraries are public spaces designed to foster connections while keeping pace with technology and the needs of the community.
- Center for Entrepreneurship: Funded by a $1 million federal grant, this space will be an incubator of ideas for aspiring businesses.
- Activity area: Children of all ages will enjoy a space where they can play and have fun year-round.
- Multifunctional community “living room” space: From meetings to presentations to movies, this space is where the community can gather.
This fall, the estimated 48,000-square-foot project transitions from a “schematic design” phase – putting ideas into rough designs that highlight the “how” and “where” spaces will be included – to design development. In this phase, architects from JLG and Miller Hull will take the ideas that have been shared by residents to create a plan that will meet many of those wants, needs and dreams.
After final designs are created, they will be sent to McGough Construction – the project’s construction manager – for project bidding and construction. Once decisions on cost, materials and programming spaces are finished and fine-tuned – groundbreaking and construction will begin in late spring 2024 and progress to an early 2026 opening!
2024 is going to be an exciting year in Moorhead.
For more information, visit the project page.
A specific notification category (Library/Community Center) has been set up to provide email updates on the project. Please subscribe or adjust your current notification categories to stay informed about future work on this project.