Below is a list of news items for the City of Moorhead with the most recent items at the top.  If you would like to see news for a certain category, you can select it from the the drop-down box labeled (All Categories).  Any news older than 90 days is automatically archived and removed from this list.

You can also subscribe to our eNotifications to automatically receive emails as we post news to the site.

Overloaded Extension Cord Caused House Fire Overnight

Post Date:03/03/2017 9:35 am

Last night at 10:07 pm, the Moorhead Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at 1802 2nd Ave S.  Firefighters arrived to find fire burning through the north side of an older single story residence located in the former Dulsky Trailer park.  No occupants were home at the time of the fire, but the property contained numerous stored items and structural conditions that lead to fire extending into multiple walls and the attic. The home is considered to be a complete loss.  There were no fatalities and one minor fire department injury during the investigation of the fire. One Engine company from the Fargo Fire Department, and staff from the Moorhead Police Department, F-M Ambulance, and the Salvation Army assisted with this incident.  The cause of the fire was determined to be an extension cord that was overloaded by an electric space heater.

The Fire Department recommends that portable heaters be plugged directly into outlets if at all possible. Use only heavy-duty extension cords, no longer than needed, and rated for the load of the appliance. Always maintain a minimum of 36” of clear space in front of devices and follow other manufacturer’s recommendations.

Assistant Chief Jeff Wallin
Public Information Officer
Moorhead Fire Department
(218) 299-5439

More >>