Building Codes FAQ


  • Are there handouts that tell me the codes for common remodeling projects I might do?
    Yes, the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry has several brochures explaining codes for common projects.
  • Do I need a building permit for a fence and where can I have a fence?
    Fences are allowed in residential districts, up to the property line.  No permits are required unless the fence is more than 7 feet tall.  Refer to the Moorhead City Code for the ordinance regulating fences.
  • Do I need a building permit to put a shed in my yard?
    Building permits are required for any accessory building over 200 square feet.  Regardless of size and if a permit is required, zoning regulations apply.
  • Do I need a building permit to shingle my roof?
  • Do I need a permit to install a heating appliance in my home and can I install it myself?
    A mechanical permit is required for installation of all permanent heating and cooling appliances.  Minnesota State Code does allow a homeowner to install their own heating and cooling appliances.
  • Do I need a permit to install a replacement water heater?
    A plumbing permit is required to install a water heater.
  • Do I need a permit to install electrical devises within my home?
    An electrical permit is required and may be obtained by calling the Minnesota State Electrical Inspector, Rod Schaffer, at 701-235-2840.