Moorhead Counts - 2020 Census Challenge
Are you Moorhead Proud? If so, make sure you are counted in the 2020 Census and enter to win awesome Moorhead-related prizes!
Complete the Census online today!
Moorhead’s census count directly impacts our community representation and funding from state and federal programs for schools, healthcare, roads and bridges, and other vital assistance programs. You can help - fill out your 2020 Census!
Once you have completed your Census, you are eligible to register to win prizes in the Moorhead Counts Challenge. Fill out the entry form below with your home address and confirm you have responded to the Census.
Entry forms must be submitted by midnight each Thursday to be considered for that week's drawing.
Drawings will be held and announced by noon on the following Fridays:
- May 1
- May 8
- May 15
- May 22
The winners will be announced on the City of Moorhead's Facebook page and contacted via phone or email. Entry forms not selected in the weekly drawing will remain eligible throughout the duration of the contest.
Each Friday, seven winners will be drawn for the following prizes:
- (1) - $25 Moorhead food establishment gift card
- (1) - Moorhead Golf Course package valued at $100 (18 holes of golf for two people with a golf cart)
- (5) - 'Moorhead Proud' insulated mugs
BONUS CHALLENGE: Moorhead Proud Ward Challenge Winners
On Friday, May 29, 2020, entries already submitted by this date and located in the Ward with the highest participation rate will be eligible for the following additional prizes:
- (6) - $50 Moorhead food establishment gift card
- (1) - $100 Moorhead food establishment gift card
- (1) - Moorhead Golf Course package valued at $100 (18 holes of golf for two people with a golf card)
- (5) - 'Moorhead Proud' insulated mugs
Check Moorhead's progress on the 2020 Census Self-Response Progress Map.
Disclaimer: Only one prize per address.
Information submitted on the Entry Form is being collected by the City of Moorhead and is being used for the sole purpose of conducting the drawing. Failure to complete the Entry Form may disqualify you from the weekly drawing. Information submitted on the Entry Form may be subject to release under the Minnesota Data Practices Act.
The Constitution of the Unites States requires a full count of the population every ten years; starting in 1790 the Census Bureau has counted every resident of the United States. Previous censuses would request households to return their census forms by mail or census workers would visit neighborhoods to count remaining households. The 2020 Census plans to add an online response form to use modern and cost-efficient methods to count everyone once and in the right place.
Why It's Important
The data that will be collected by the 2020 Census are critical for states, counties and communities. Minnesota's State Demographer's office has outlined why the census is important and how it can impact Moorhead.
Activities for the 2020 Census are already underway in preparations for Census Day - April 1, 2020.
- March 12-20: You will receive an invitation to respond online to the 2020 Census (some households will also receive the paper questionnaire).
- March 16-24: A reminder letter to complete your census form will be sent.
- IF YOU HAVE NOT RESPONDED YET
March 26-April 3: A reminder postcard is sent.
April (IF YOU HAVE NOT RESPONDED)
- The official Census Day arrives on April 1, 2020, as residents are invited to complete the census form online, by mail, or over the phone.
- April 8-16: A reminder letter and paper questionnaire are sent to all households that have not responded.
- April 20-27: A final reminder postcard is sent to all households who have not responded, this is the final postcard distributed before the Census Bureau follows up in-person.
After Census Day
- Later in the month of April extending through August 2020, Census takers go door-to-door to collect information from residents who did not complete a census form using any of these methods.
Census Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Snowbird Information - If you live in Moorhead most of the time, but winter somewhere warm - fill out your 2020 Census form for your primary address in Minnesota.
- Coming Soon: Questionnaire Assistance Centers (QACs) - If you need access to technology or help filling out your 2020 Census form, Moorhead will identify QAC locations where you can get help.
- Didn't get a census letter? - You can still complete the census at www.my2020census.gov.
How To Get Involved
Moorhead has developed a Complete Count Committee (CCC) to help educate and reach all of our citizens. If you are interested in helping achieve a complete count, please let us know.
If you want to Commit to Be Counted in the 2020 Census, sign up to get involved! Please fill out the Commit to Be Counted online form facilitated by We Count Minnesota.
Census Job Opportunities
Census Jobs are available now and more will open in 2020.